Saturday, July 9, 2016

Week 8: Metacognitive Reflection

Because of this course, I am able to identify and use terms within educational technology.  The assignments and discussions have opened the possibilities of learning about new media and literacies. Previously, I thought I was highly educated on the topic. This course brought me to the realization that there is always something new to learn. I understood I was putting myself in the rut and focusing on prior knowledge, and unintentionally closing myself to alternative strategies. As noted, the knowledge from this course will allow me to look into how I learn, as well as my students. I am able to find a way to relate to the content and then communicate my thoughts in an effective manner. The resources were readily available to assist in the growth of knowledge of technologies and literacies. The Jenkins and Serafini discussions were extremely helpful to improve content awareness, along with understanding differing point of views as to how tools and techniques are used in the world of education and out. Before this course I had never heard the term participatory cultures or the transparency issue. Another major topic of the class revolved around Network Publics. I highly appreciated the way learning was structured through group learning coming to a consensus and growing from there to relate to alternative views.  Through this text, I was able to fully understand how liberated network connections were, along with how we must work on appropriate digital citizenship with students.
As an up and coming educator in the Special Education field, the alternative strategies in technologies are extremely instrumental to provide the most appropriate education for my students. The advances in technology allow me to create individualized plans for students and follow through in order for them to relate to the subject matter in the best way for them. Most importantly, conveying to my students the prominence of looking at sources through a lens to find the most credible information possible. We must use the advantage of literacy of the Internet and educate our students to assess the quality of information.
An “ah ha” moment occurred in module six when interviewing an adolescent on their use and view of Internet technologies. It was not necessarily in my interviewee’s responses that provide the sense of awe, but more in my observations in his mannerisms before and after the interview. I realized that technologies now provide the comfort and connection to many, especially the young, when they feel uncomfortable or unnoticed in a particular setting. This related to the resources of other modules discussing how youth today are the ‘digital natives’ of the modern world. I especially understood the statement that media and technology provides that attention many seek in the world.
         In each module of the course, I battled with the importance of incorporating technology in learning, but also using previous conventions of print. At the start, I was completely on the side of print and text, but through the knowledge of the content in this course, I recognize a place for technology depending on the subject area. Technology as a tool in education is can be used to create and develop critical thinking skills for all types of students. Whether the discussion is questioning the use of technology, or using technology itself to discuss, educators must bring in technology into the classroom for the sense of providing world experiences for students and a tool to relate to what the world is turning to. My concern through technology is the lack of human connection and social skills. The loss of appreciation for what you can’t hold in your hand.

         Overall, I found this course to be enlightening. With this knowledge, I am bale to open to alternative strategies and allow students to incorporate technology within the classroom that is most appropriate for their education.

No comments:

Post a Comment